Question: Can our practice be reimbursed for the surgical dressing (supplies) of a partial-thickness burn?

Fri, Mar 9, 2012 --

Reader Questions

Answer: Medicare and most private payers already factor supplies such as surgical dressings into the value of debridement codes. In these cases, you cannot recoup additional reimbursement using any codes.

Some commercial insurers might accept 99070 (Supplies and materials [except spectacles], provided by the physician over and above those usually included with the office visit or other services rendered [list drugs, trays, supplies, or materials provided]) or A4550 (Surgical trays) for supplies such as surgical dressings.

But these carriers are also likely to require an itemized list of costs and charges. The research involved in determining those costs and charges may cost more than any reimbursement you may obtain.'


Barnali Gogoi is a medical coding and billing writer with over 7 years of experience in the industry. She holds a Masters Degree in English Literature from Gauhati University and a diploma in advertising and marketing from YMCA.

Leave a Reply